Puppet Hub

A global network for professionals, amateurs, and people who just like puppets.

I am wondering if anyone is willing to give me some critique on a performance of mine. There is a link below to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tiggergood262?feature=mhee#p/a/u/2/UFLA...

I would appreciate any comments at all, so feel free to share! Also, my voices were a little off that day, so please excuse that =)

Thank you!

Karen

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very well done! I've never even attempted ventriloquism, so I can't imagine what that's like, but it seems like you did a really fantastic job.

The bit with Maggie was really good, too. It's a shame that you couldn't have her interact with someone above the stage, rather than Maggie having to keep looking down at you offstage. But I understand that sometimes, that's just the way things work out logistically.

Anyway, keep up the terrific work! I've been to a few of the One Way Street events but haven't had the chance to perform yet. I hope you had a good time!

Thank you so much! 

I have found ventriloquism to be very hard, but very fun! It helps add another character if you have to perform alone.

Maggie is one of my favorite characters to use. It just wasn't possible for me to be up there with her unfortunately. 

I had a very good time, and I would recommend performing at them to anyone because the judges do critique sheets. It is also very fun!

Farmer Floyd said:

Very well done! I've never even attempted ventriloquism, so I can't imagine what that's like, but it seems like you did a really fantastic job.

The bit with Maggie was really good, too. It's a shame that you couldn't have her interact with someone above the stage, rather than Maggie having to keep looking down at you offstage. But I understand that sometimes, that's just the way things work out logistically.

Anyway, keep up the terrific work! I've been to a few of the One Way Street events but haven't had the chance to perform yet. I hope you had a good time!

Very good! I noticed on the video that you are very good at not moving your lips. I not very good at ventriloquism, but I've seen plenty of professionals. They tend to, (and it helps in the long run,) to over emphasize your mouth opening while you are speaking to the puppet or the viewers. Big mouth openings emphasize that YOU are speaking for yourself and not the puppet on your hand.

Awesome talent to have - I am new to doing puppets about a year, not as part of a school - just from a local convention that is puppets is one track of the convention.    It all looks good except as mentioned above the puppet talking down to you.    The problem is not the looking down so much as the puppet looks behind the stage and can't be seen.   

An idea I think would be something Bob Newhart did in his early comedy career as what is now known as stand-up comedy.   Would be to have the puppet talking in to a phone or something like that.   I have a CD of Bob Newhart performing live on stage himself with only minimal props to give something to talk with.

http://youtu.be/TD1MW-nyhxg  an example of doing Bob Newhart on You Tube, can find more samples off of it for free.    Some such concept may help you doing one voice from down under letting the puppet watch the audience.

- Examples can also be seen on the old Bob Newhart show from the 1970's in reruns - as Bob often used the phone for his one side of the conversation - but, you have the ability to do both sides (which is different and good).

I have only been doing puppets about a year now - and a video camera with a tripod (low end under $300 currently - some are less - don't need HD or anything else except a computer if uploading to YouTube) is an great tool for practice - one where the screen flips so you can see your self as in a mirror - then watch later and see what you think about your performance, trying to think as you would watching someone else.  

Thanks for the awesome advice! I will really take all that everyone has said into consideration when I perform next!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Puppet Hub Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service